1. Start a simple yoga twists practice
Simple yoga twists help the digestion and the detox process. Although most people perceive yoga as a nice way to stretch, it is much more than that. The postures help align and strengthen muscles and bones. They can boost your energy and relax you. They also help promote a sense of unity and balance. And, when your body feels balanced, so does your mind.
2. Minimise toxic products
Become aware of not only what you are putting into your body, but also what you put on it. We are exposed to more than 100 chemicals from personal care products every day. So make a point to go through your cleaning supplies and your make-up bag to see what you need to discard.
3. Calm the mind, slow down, and relax
Try to incorporate some meditation or some time of relaxation technique into your life. The less stressed you are, the more effective your cleanse will be.
4. Drink water throughout the day to flush your system
Drinking water will also help you stay clear of cravings for snacks by hydrating your body. Did you know that the feeling of thirst and hunger are similar, and we often mistake thirst for hunger?
5. Eat mostly plant foods – ideally, local, fresh and organic
If available, best is to eat locally grown vegetables or fruits. If you think that those are more expensive tham the ones you find at the supermarket, you will be surprised. Go to a local farmers’ market and check out what they have. I know I was surprised when my husband and I went to one the first time, we saved about 30-50% on some of the prices. So going to a farmers’ market to buy food can save your savings AND your health. Great choice! 🙂
Now, if you don’t have a farmers’ market close by, or can’t find any organic produce, the next best sources are fresh, frozen and canned produce – in that particular order.
6. “Chance favors the prepared mind”, Louis Pasteur
If you want to succeed with your cleanse, you have to prepare yourself for it.
- Set the date at which you want to start your cleanse.
- Go to the farmers market a day or two before the start of your cleanse to get all plant foods you will need.
- Spend the week before your cleanse on preparing for it: cut down on caffeine, sugar and wheat.
- Spend a few minutes journaling on what you want to achieve while doing that cleanse and why it is important for you to do it. This will help you stay motivated when you feel that you want to go back to some old unhealthy habits.
7. Keep sugary snacks out of the house and the office
You know what they say: “far from the eyes, far from the heart”. If you do not keep those items you can’t resist close by, it will be easier for you to stay away from them.
8. Keep a consistent sleep schedule
Many of the sleep issues we have are due to a non consistent sleep schedule. And sleep is very important when doing a cleanse, as it helps your body focus on what is important: i.e. getting the toxins out of your body, and refuelling your energy tanks.
9. Healthy habits nuture healthy genes
The healthier your habits, the healthier your life. Health does not only come from proper nutrition, but also from proper lifestyle:
- Good exercise for the body
- Good stress management
- Good hydration
- Good food
- Good spiritual practice
- Good connections
10. Ask yourself are you really hungry OR is it something else?
Sometimes we mistake cravings for hunger, when they are not really. Before eating something you know you should not, ask yourself if you are really hungry. If not, try to find out where the cravings you have are coming from: is your hunger stress related? Are you trying to fill in an emotional void? etc.
11. Make time to connect with friends
Feeling connected to a group helps us feel less stressed, so helps enhance the results of a cleanse.
12. Get an accountability partner
If you feel that you will not be able to do a cleanse by yourself, ask a friend to go on one with you. By being two, or comparing your results, you will feel more motivated to stay on it and do it the proper way. If you feel that you don’t know how to do one, it might be a good idea to invest in a detox program, or ask the help of a health coach.