In case you didn’t know, there are more reasons for taking birth control than just avoiding pregnancy. Birth control can regulate irregular periods, help balance out moods and clear up your skin. For other women, the opposite happens – their periods become spotty or disappear altogether while on birth control, their face becomes pimpled and their moods become erratic.
Why does this happen? The reality is that birth control has everything to do with your hormones, and different hormones at different levels affect women differently.
Personally, I am not a fan of birth control pills, as they can create deeply rooted imbalances in your body when they are not used as they should.
That said, here’s something that’s generally true for everyone who starts taking birth control and decides to stop: some big changes are going to take hold. Because birth control is made of hormones (natural or synthetic), your body adjusts to these hormones and will have to adjust when they’re suddenly absent from your system.
In the same way that it will take time for your skin and your moods to adjust to the change, so will it be for your fertility.
Positive and Negative Changes You Can Experience
It’s not all awful – in fact, stopping your birth control can actually be a very positive change! One of the reasons you may have started birth control was to help clear up some teenage hormone issues, but you’re older now. You may not need birth control to avoid these problems! Once they stop taking birth control, women can experience:
- An improved mood
- Hot flashes disappear
- Improved skin
- They have more energy
- Their sex drive can increase
- Improved sleep
- Thicker and better hair
At the same time, there are certain withdrawal affects you may experience:
- Lack of periods for a while
- Sudden acne
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Irregular periods
- Irregular discharge or cervical fluid
How to Handle the Change
First, consider why you went on birth control. If you wanted to avoid certain hormonal symptoms like acne or mood swings, you have to look at the root of the problem before quitting birth control. Your best bet will be to look for other ways to balance out your irregular hormone patterns.
Balancing your hormones is a good idea for any woman, and there are simple and effective steps to make it happen:
- Start getting your basic nutrition up to par. Eat the right fats, like egg yolks and organic raw whole milk. Also avoid estrogen mimickers like soy, pesticides and dairy/meat products from animals containing growth hormones.
- It may sound a little zany, but Maca poweder has been proven to have many health benefits that help regulate hormones. This Peruvian powder balances your hormones naturally and can boost your fertility through stimulating your hypothalamus and pituitary gland functions. It can be purchased in both pill and powder forms. But, please be careful not to take too much at a time, and to check with your medical specialist if there is any contra-indication before taking it.
- Learn to love your liver. Eating the right foods and drinking lots of water can improve liver health. Your liver breaks down hormones and can effectively start getting rid of excess hormones in your body if you treat it right.
- Make some simple lifestyle changes. Get enough sleep, exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes at a time. Avoid using large amounts of beauty products. Start meditating to reduce stress. All of these simple actions can help regulate your hormones while you go through your birth control transition.
The women I work with are always surprised of how well their bodies reply to natural options, and get rebalanced from the inside out. Our bodies are amazing machines, and birth control reduces the control and understanding we have over them, so getting off of birth control can really be an amazing experience!
Do you need more support?
Part of my Radical Wellness mission is to help you interpret what your body’s telling you. When you tune in and listen, you fast track your ability to create, enjoy, and maintain Radical Wellness! If you’d like help on your journey, I’d love to support you. When you register today for a Radical Wellness Wakeup Call session, a 60 minutes deep dive with me, you will get an individualized action plan that will help you reach your goals! Click here for details.
I know investing in your health may feel like a luxury. But Radical Wellness is actually the ultimate necessity. Without your body, you can’t enjoy the amazing life you have. So what are you waiting for?