‘7 days with 7 celebrity docs’
Summary from the discussion between JJ. Virgin and Dr. Alan Christianson, NMD
The thyroid gland affects us from head to toe. Every single cell in the body needs this hormone in the right amount in order to do the most basic functions. Hence, if it is lacking, such symptoms such as weight gain, fatigue and hair loss can appear.
Why is Thyroid Disease a problem?
- 30-60 million Americans suffer from it.
- Most don’t know they have it.
- Women are 5-8 times more likely to have thyroid disease than men.
- Rates of it are on the rise due to environmental toxins.
- Thyroid disease exceeds diabetes, heart disease or cancer.
Data from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists: Annual Thyroid Awareness Campaign 2010
What is your Thyroid?
The word thyroid comes from the Greek ‘shield’.
The thyroid is a gland which is located at the front of your neck. Because of its location, when you have thyroid disease, it can impact your swallowing, your speech and your breathing. This gland is butterfly shaped and the weight equal to a deck of cards.
What does your Thyroid do?
- Stimulates all cells to form energy.
- Burns carbohydrate and fat.
- Maintains body temperature.
- Repairs hair, skin and nails.
- Regulates ovaries and adrenals.
- Creates energy for brain cells.
- Regulates the movement of bowels.
What causes Thyroid Disease?
- Family History of Thyroid Disease – any type
- Variations in Iodine Absorption
- Iodine, Fluoride, Perchlorate, Mercury, Cadmium
- Vitamin D – below optimal levels (50-70 ng/dl)
- Chronic infections: EBV, hepatitis C, herpes, candida
What are the Symptoms of Thyroid Disease?
- Easy weight gain
- Hair thinning
- Poor memory
- High cholesterol
- Difficulty swallowing
- Lump in throat
- Low levels of vitamins
- Dry skin
- Muscle aches
- Low libido
- Cold sensations
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
How to make your Thyroid happy?
- Correct nutrients levels
- Thyroid exercises
- Detox your body
- Thyroid friendly diet
–> Thyroid Nutrients – Iodine
- 150-400 mcg daily
- Not too much or too little
- Use iodised sea salt
- Avoid iodine in multivitamins
- Avoid kelp and iodine supplements
–> Thyroid Nutrients – Selenium
- 200-400 mcg daily
- Brazil nuts – 1 daily
- Brown rice
–> Exercise for your Thyroid
- Yoga shoulder stand
- Assisted pull ups and arm hangs
- Neck rolling and stretching
–> Avoid Top Thyroid toxins
- PCBs (PolyChlorinated Biphenyl) – avoid farm raised fish and full fat dairy (unless organic)
- Mercury – avoid it in seafood, vaccines, dental amalgams, HFCS
- Perchlorate – use purified water, let dry cleaned clothes off-gas outside for 1 day
–> Thyroid Detox: wastes go from your liver and colon into your thyroid. To prevent this cycle from happening:
- Rice bran – 1-2 tbsp daily
- Spinach – 1-3 cups daily
- Ground flax – 1-2 tbsp daily
- Pure water – 3-5 quarts daily
- Sweat – 30+ minutes daily
–> Thyroid Friendly Diet
+ Protein – 25-35% calories
+ Fiber – 40+ grams
+ Alkaline – 50% fresh produce
– Gointrogens – can harm thyroid
– Soy, wheat – can disrupt thyroid hormones
– Sugar – can hurt liver
How to Make your Thyroid Happy! – Steps with your Doc
- Learn if you have thyroid disease
- Natural thyroid medicine is best
- Find your perfect dose
Test and treat for:
- Deeper toxins
- Hidden infections
- Allergies and intolerances
- Other hormones
Suggested Action Steps
- If you suspect thyroid disease – learn more about it.
- If you have thyroid disease and don’t feel your best, educate or upgrade your doctor.
- Always remember, you CAN get better! 🙂